Thursday 28 December 2017

The Most Badass Lines From Video Game Characters In 2017

2017 knocked it out of the park with quality releases in every genre. From Nier: Automata to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Golf Story, there was oodles of entertainment to be had this year. The writing for a lot of these games was pretty stellar as well.

We consider ourselves experts when it comes to critiquing one-liners, both cheesy ones said by people walking away from explosions as well as killer ice-cold ones delivered with undertones of tragedy. If you enjoy those sorts of things, well, pump that shotgun and light up your smokes if you've got em. The following is a collection of the most badass quotes from characters in 2017. 

Warning: Spoilers ahead.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is a fantastic and brutal adventure to take back America from the Nazi regime. Fittingly, it has a number of delicious one-liners and conversations from our merry band of rebels.

 “Lot of things you can do with a hatchet…and a nazi.” – B.J., setting the tone for the game in the first hour.

 "Auf Wiedersehen, you piece of dreck." – Set Roth after zapping some nazis into fine red mush with his electric traps.

"You take freedom away from the American people, you're playing with fire. And I intend to pour some gasoline!" –  B.J., making his plans for a revolution heard.

“That the best you got? Then your best won't do. You're among wolves now. And this is our woods.” – B.J., taking some sweet sweet revenge at long last.

"Was a time I was scared of you. Was a time I would piss myself having a gun pointed at my head. You know what I feel right now? Not a god damned thing." –  B.J., finally standing up to the one man who terrorized his youth.

––

Fergus: "You ask for something, you say please. And don’t f-cking call me ‘Englishman.'"

Grace: "OK, you wanna step to me motherf-cker or do you wanna get *** done? Cause I’m game either way.'

Uncharted: Lost Legacy proved that both Nadine and Chloe could more than match series mascot Nathan Drake in both brawn and wit.

Nadine Ross: "Think it's safe?"

Chloe Frazer: "You know that treasure hunting is not a good gig for the risk-averse, right?"

Nadine: "Neither is being a mercenary. Difference is, when I pull the pin on a grenade, I know what's going to happen next."

Chloe: "My way's much more fun."

––

Sam: "He hits like a girl."

Nadine: "How about we get these cuffs off and I show you how girls hit?"

––

Asav: "Shoot them. Throw their bodies in the river."

Chloe: "No need, we'll throw ourselves out."

Mass Effect Andromeda may have been a bit of disappointment to the legions of Mass Effect fans, but it had some good zingers, most of them courtesy of Krogan Drack.

The Cardinal: "I stand on the shoulders of his greatness, as they do. As one day, you will."

Ryder: "Except I'm gonna f-ck your sh-t up. How's that for great?" 

––

The Cardinal [walking away from Ryder]: "I see you too begin to understand the gift that the Kett bring to all Andromeda."

Ryder [before shooting the Cardinal]: "Not likely."

––

Ryder [approaching Drack at a bar, motioning to unconscious man on the floor]: "Do I even want to know?"

Drack: "Oh this?" [casually pushes body out of the way with his foot to make room for Ryder]

––

Drack: "This place is a dump."

Cora: "Shoddy security."

Drack: "They should be embarrassed."

Ryder: "Most people wouldn't be complaining. They don't even have a lookout on the backdoor."

Drack: "Be nice to have some kind of challenge. It's the least they could do, making us come all the way out here to kick their sorry asses."

Dishonored: Death Of The Outsider marked a strong ending for Arkane's dark fantasy and, with it, a number of exchanges that were as sharp as the daggers our protagonist and her mentor wielded.

Daud: "You up for one last job, Billie?"

Billie: "Who's the mark?"

Daud: "The black-eyed bastard who's responsible for all the chaos."

Billie: "We're gonna kill the Outsider!?"

––

Daud: "I never knew what The Outsider wanted. Be careful. The black-eyed bastard's gifts come with a price. You won't know...until it's already been paid."

––

Daud: "Look at us. Trapped here. An eternity on a butcher's block, waiting for the knife to fall. There's nothing left of me but this."

Billie: "Daud. I'm here. Look at me!"

Daud:  "I know that name. I know you. There was blood, and masks, and blades raised. Billie Lurk. Do you remember when you hated me? And now you've followed me into the Void itself. You brought the knife. I can't hurt him. There's nothing I can do. Only you can kill him. How long have I waited here?"

Billie: "Too long, old man."

Daud:  "There he is. The Outsider. All this time, dreaming in the void. I wondered if he dreamed of this moment? Go. Finish it. End his miserable life."

––

Billie: "What happened is what had to happen. Maybe it's not fair, but I can't think of much that is. I know the guilty never get what they deserve. I know the black-eyed bastard never did. But with that knife in his heart...I've evened the score. He died for the people twisted by his magic:  the cults, witches, and killers. For all the madness and chaos they caused. For Daud. For me. And after all of this...I'm still just a murderer."

––

Billie: "There's so much doubt, but there are some things I know are true. The Outsider is no more, and with that, the world will change in ways none of us can know. But the void's still there, echoing just beyond what you can see. And there's no one left to say who will and won't be touched by its magic."

Nier Automata is a helluva a game, balancing the somberness of the bleak future with a zany arcade game, throwing out a handful of memorable exchanges and dialogue during its twisty story.

Pod 042: "I am embarrassed."

Pod 153: "Why is that?"

Pod 042: "I launched a suicide attack, and yet here I am, still alive. I must look very silly."

Pod 153: "Do not feel bad about it. We are alive, after all. And being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment."

––

"Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped... in a never-ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle... and wonder if we'll ever have a chance to kill him." — 2B

Destiny 2 has more than just bullets and loot in its stockpile, often showering its heroics with a fair bit of cocky humor or menacing dread.

"Zavala’s doing the hero act in the Plaza. Me? I’ve got a date with whoever’s behind this. It’ll be a short date." – Cayde, per usual, prolouging his heroic acts with some bragging.

“You think you’ve cornered the market on sacrifice? We’ve had to survive without the light all our lives!” – Hawthorne, making her stake in the struggle against Ghaul clear.

“I will do what I swore, old friend. I am Ghaul, and I will take the Light.” – Ghaul, after dispatching a rebellious ally.

“They can’t kill you if they’re dead.” — Lord Shaxx...shaxxing it up.

Yakuza 0 is a tale of two badasses making their way through the criminal underworld. Fittingly, it has some nice gems as well from our heroes Kiryu and Maxima.

Kiryu: " You lay one *** finger on Makoto and I'll bury the Tojo Clan. This I swear."

Kuze [talking to a weakened Kiryu]: "I'll let you in on a little something. The yakuza game, it's not like boxing. The man who gets beat down isn't the loser. The guy who can't tough it out to the end, he's the one who loses. Eh? Don't ya think? In the yakuza life, there are no KOs. I'll tell you what, Kiryu. To me, a finger or two don't mean s--t. Having Awano or Shibusawa beat me to the captain's spot? Couldn't give a f--k... As long as I'm alive, I'll keep getting back up for more. Which is why a half-ass like you's the one thing I can't stand. Now DIE, you little s--t!"

Majima: "I'm Makoto's special delivery! A hitman who's gonna get in YOUR S--T!!!"

Majima: "After all, the customer is king," Majima shortly before he embarrasses a two-bit misogynistic businessman without ever putting a finger on him.

What are some of your favorite lines from this yet? Let us know in the comments below.



from www.GameInformer.com - The Feed http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/12/28/the-most-badass-lines-from-video-game-characters-in-2017.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment